As the winter months approach and the chill starts to fill the air, we start to reach for the comfort food and what is more comforting than a luscious moist light carrot cake with lashings of cream cheese frosting. This is an original Dimpsey recipe from our very own Sally who works in the office. Nom nom nom!
- 250 ml sunflower oil
- 4 large eggs
- 225 g light muscovado sugar
- 200 g carrots, coarsly grated
- 350 g self-raising flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp mixed spice
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- juice and zest of 1 orange
- 110g butter, softened
- 225g cream cheese
- 480g icing sugar
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- zest of 1 orange (keep the juice for something else!)
- Preheat the oven to 180C/Gas 4/fan 160C
- Mix together the sugar and butter until fully beaten and mixed
- Add everything else in and mix. The mixture will be loose and almost runny, this is good, it is a very moist cake.
- Add to a lined and greased cake tin and bake for 40-45 minutes. Depending on your oven it may take longer, simply place a knife or skewer into the centre of the cake, when it comes out clean, your cake is cooked.
- When cooked, remove and allow to cool.
- To make the frosting whisk everything together in a bowl, allow to chill in the fridge for 30 minutes then add to the top of the cooled cooked cake.